Thursday, May 22, 2008

Ask GearTrap: Acoustic Tones From Electric Drones...

Straight from here in the Music City, Nashville, TN., Benny writes:

I have a Taylor T5 that I wanna use along with my electric on stage. I'd like to be able to switch between the two at the click of a pedal, or at least meld the two tones together. I checked out a Pod XT Live that has an "acoustic" setting as well as tons of amp models. Any suggestions on some possible options?


Hiya Benny-

Yea- have you tried or thought about trying an A/B/Y switch? It would allow you input two different signals into your board, but only use one at a time. Another option is the BOSS AC-3, which is an acoustic simulator. It's OK, but the best acoustic sound I've been able to get from an electric solidbody was a guitar that was made by Godin. They're a Canadian company I believe. The guitar model escapes me, but it had dual outputs and sounded great. The Epiphone Ultra II has the same kind of thing going on and they're probably cheaper. I'd give that one a shot too! Hope that helps!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Richard Salit said...

I have a T5 that I use with a Fishman Loudbox 100 and a Peavey Classic 30. I have an A/B/Y switch and it works well. I can get a very acoustic sound from the Fishman and a very nice variety of electric tones from Peavey. I also have a Pod XT Live but generally use that only in front of the Peavey. I never found the acoustic settings on the Pod going through the tube amp to be realistic. The Fishman with the T5 is a great sound.

May 22, 2008 at 6:03 AM  
Blogger GearTrap said...

There ya go! good advice.

May 22, 2008 at 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home